The spring 2019 Franke Lectures have been organized in conjunction with the Yale College seminar “Race & Caste” taught by Hazel Carby and Inderpal Grewal.
- Deborah Thomas, University of Pennsylvania, “Political Life in the Wake of the Plantation: Affect, Witnessing, Repair”
- Ilona Katzew, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, “The Invention of Casta Painting: Race and Science in the Age of Enlightenment”
- Duana Fullwiley, Stanford University, “The Ancestors Watch in Disbelief: Genomic Ancestry, Power, and (Un)freedom”
- Gyanendra Pandey, Emory University, “Modernity in the Home: A Reflection on 20th Century India”
- Anupama Rao, Barnard College, “Social Abstraction, Historical Comparison: Thinking Caste, Race, and Gender in the Time Capital”