What the grant is for
The A. Whitney Griswold Faculty Research Fund was established to assist Yale faculty members to undertake research in the humanities. The Fund awards grants for specific research projects to full-time faculty members on continuing appointment in any department or division of the University. Preference is given to first-time applicants and to applicants who do not have other current research grants at the institution.
Grants up to $4000 per academic year may be sought for purposes such as (a) travel to inspect primary-source materials, (b) acquisition of inaccessible books or visual materials (later transferred to a University library), (c) assistance with research. At the conclusion of the grant, grant recipients must submit a brief (one- or two-page) summary of research conducted under the auspices of the grant, with particular reference to publications in progress or produced as a result of the research. In no way is the award intended for reimbursement of expenses already incurred.
How to apply
Applications are available online. Please download application instructions and form in (.DOC) format.
If there are any questions concerning applications or grants, kindly emailed Inessa.email@example.com
Along with the application, grant applicants must submit a 2-3 page proposal that include the following elements:
- A description of research to be conducted during the award period;
- An explanation of the relationship between the research and the broader project to which it will contribute. This may include a summary of a planned article, translation, or book project.
- The specific purpose(s) to which the award will be applied, including an itemized budget of proposed expenses;
- A detailed statement concerning any previous grants awarded by the Griswold Research Fund;
- Mention of any other research grants that can be applied to the project and their balance.
- Requests for research assistance must specify the planned tasks and their direct relevance to the completion and publication of research.
All materials should be emailed to Inessa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty members requesting amounts over $1000 should also apply to other sources of support. Departmental chairs should have information about sources within the University. For sources outside the University, consult the Office of Grants and Contracts.
The deadlines for submission of Griswold applications, including supporting materials, are November 1, February 1, or April 1, each year.